(This is my notes of Paul’s message this past Sunday. He kicked off a new series of messages called “Hurricane”)
Hurricane: Surviving the Storm
Part 1: Seeing God in Our Storms
- We all go through storms in life.
- We are either in a storm, coming out of a storm, or getting ready to go into one
- God reveals himself in the storm.
Scripture: Exodus 19:10-19
- We do not think about God in our storm. WE see the pain and suffering we endure instead.
- Sometimes we go through a storm because of our sin, or God is building our character, or to demonstrate his character through us.
- There are three principles to remember in order to see God in your storm.
Principle #1: God never forsakes or leaves us.
- Hebrews 13:5- This is a promise of God. We often forget this promise, but it is true no matter what we are going through.
- Too often-in storm, we rely on our own power to make it better.
- We ask, “What did I do to deserve this storm?”
- Psalm 13:1, Job 23:3, 1 Peter 5:7 (He cares for you)
Principle #2: God’s timing is perfect
- We often want the storm to go away right now!
- Lazarus and Martha: For Martha, Jesus was late because Lazarus died. To Jesus, he was right on time, because he raised him back to life.
- James 2:1-4- Consider it pure joy when you have trouble.
- ILL: A butterfly strengthening its wings coming out of the cocoon.
Principle #3: We must remain faithful
- God cherishes our faithfulness.
- Hebrews 11:6- Without faith it is impossible to love God.
- Revelation 2- Be faithful unto death.
- ILL: Preacher dying of cancer.
- We will go through many storms in our life, so remember these principles.