In our culture today, we are seeing many issues that concern matters of faith- homosexuality, immigration, and racism are some of the deep issues facing our nation today. Our faith as Christ followers does not rest on any government or human decision, but on the word of the Lord. Daniel 5:25 says, “The Most High is sovereign over all the kingdoms of the earth.” Our first response to these situations is prayer. We are to call upon the name of the Lord. Below are some ways you can pray for our nation. These suggestions come from Harvest Prayer Ministries led by Dave Butts.
- Thank the Lord for the gift of family. Express your gratitude that family is God’s by design and not human invention.
- Ask for forgiveness on behalf of the Church for failing to model godly families before our society. We bear much blame for the deterioration of marriage and the family. (1 Timothy 5:8)
- Pray for help to live out God’s intent for the family. May our homes become outposts for God’s kingdom. (Acts 10:2)
- Confess our sins of responding to those caught up in sin in an un-Christ like manner and ask for help to love as Christ loves. (John 8:11)
- Pray that the Lord would show us in practical ways how to speak the truth in love according to His Word. (Ephesians 4:15)
- Ask God to pour out His wisdom on His people that we might see clearly the attack of the enemy on His design for marriage. May God’s wisdom give us insight into the results of tearing down traditional one man-one woman marriage. (James 1:5)
- Plead with the Lord for the Supreme Court. Pray that He would give wisdom and courage to these jurists to respond in righteousness. (Job 21:22; Job 9:24; Isaiah 1:26)