Here is the outline to my message fromthis past Easter Sunday. Note takers rejoice!
- Mary Magdalene going to the Tomb
- Cemeteries in Jesus’ day (Ossuaries, etc)
- Mary was expecting a dead body (John 20) but the stone rolled away.
- She ran to Peter and John, “They have taken our Lord and I don’t know where they have put him.”
- Still thought Jesus was dead.
- Peter and John run to the tomb. (John arrives first, linen left)
- John believed- and they went back.
LIFE RELATED EXPERIENCE
- Question: Is Jesus really worth believing in? <>(Welcome all)
- Common struggle / I struggle… family / money / career, family, retirement is it worth it to believe in him?
- Do you believe in the risen Messiah? Like John, is Jesus worth believing in?
- She stayed after Peter and John went back
- She looked into the tomb and saw 2 angels and still sid, “They have taken my Lord away!”
- Who is Mary? (Magdala <> / grew up in immoral town/wealthy)
- APP: Maybe you are like Mary <>
- Jesus sees you / knows your name
- She thought Jesus was dead / Jesus dead to you
- My hope is for you to say, “I have seen the Lord today!”
- TRN: Peter and John had gone back.
- They were together in hiding / doors locked/ next
- So Jesus came looking for them!
- The evening of Easter Jesus came to them!
- Jesus says, “Peace be with you.”
- He shows them his wounds.
- Mission: “As the Father has sent me so I am sending you.”
- APP: You have more fear then faith
- Reminded of your mission as a Christian.
- C3 Vision: revolutionize, bridges, few > many
- Kingdom Builder, not church goers
- Just as Jesus set the disciples he is sending you.
- TSN: One disciple was missing
- Thomas was a twin, and he had a stubborn, cynical faith in Jesus
- “Let us go, that we might die with him.”
- So when the Disciples told him about Jesus he said, “Unless I see the nail marks in his hands where the nails were and put my finger into his side, I will not believe.”
- APP: Maybe you doubt like Thomas today
- Believer w/ doubts
- Not a believer because of your doubts.
- Good News: After the search your faith will be strong!
- Jesus did not criticize Thomas
- He didn’t berate him, <>
- All he said was, “Look.” <>
- Command, “Stop doubting and believe.”
- This is a safe place for Thomas’s. Our reaction is to be like Jesus and simply say, Look. We hope to show you.
- Review- John tells these stories of these people.
- “Jesus performed many other signs in the presence of his disciples, which are not recorded in this book. But these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Messiah, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name.” John 20:30-31
- Do you believe? Is it worth it to believe in Jesus? Mary would say yes, Peter and John, the Disciples, Thomas, all say yes. Why? Because of the resurrection!
- Jesus has a word for us this AM: “Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.”