1 John 4:8 tells God is love. Not God is like love or God has loving behaviors, God is love. The only behavior God can choose are those of love because He is love. The good news is we can have access to this earth defying love through the blood of Jesus Christ. Thus we can say for ourselves what John wrote just a few verses later, “We know and rely on the love God has for us.” 1 John 4:16
How does God love us? 1 Corinthians 13:4-8 defines love and it also defines God. Here we see the kind of love God gives us. Below are 7 ways God demonstrates his love towards you.
- God is patient and kind. So many times when we are hurting we can bring up the same issue over and over again. We can even be cruel and hateful towards God. God though does not react in kind, but with kindness. He is not harsh, but gentle. He is patient with you.
- God does not envy, nor is he boastful, or proud. God is the most powerful person in the universe but he never pulls rank. He never lords his authority over you. He is a humble God.
- God’s is not easily angered. Notice it doesn’t say God never gets angry. The Bible has several instances when we see his anger. When God does get angry it not a punitive or frustrated anger. God’s anger is always rooted towards our un-holiness and his attempt to bring you back to him. He is not getting back at you.
- God keeps no record of wrongs. This doesn’t mean God has completely forgotten your sin. One reason is you keep bringing it up to him! What this means is God no longer holds that sin against you. The debt you have to him has been paid in full through Jesus Christ. When Christ’s blood is applied to your life your sins are tossed as far as east is from the west.
- God does not rejoice in evil but rejoices in the truth. The paradox is there is truth that you did something wrong or someone wronged you- and it hurts. God rejoices n that truth when you take responsibility for it, accept his forgiveness through Christ, and live in the greater truth of his freedom from sin. Like Jesus said to the woman caught in adultery, “Go and sin no more.” John 8:11
- God always, always, always, always protects, hopes, trusts, and perseveres. We can rely and depend on his love. When we lose hope, he doesn’ When we feel like we can’t come back to him, God trusts we will. When we feel vulnerable, he lifts us up. When we are downtrodden, he gives the strength to get back up!
- God never fails. God will NEVER fail to love you!