The next couple of nights are calling for extreme cold. Here are five Bible stories to put some warmth in you.
- The Fiery Furnace. In Daniel chapter 3 we read of three young men, Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego refuse to bow down to the idol the King had erected. Their punishment? Tp be placed into a fiery furnace and burn to death. For extra measure, the King cranked up the heat to threaten the young Jews. Unfaltering in their devotion to the invisible God the three proclaimed, “If we are thrown into the blazing furnace, the God we serve is able to save us from it, and he will rescue us from his hand, O King. But even if he does not, we want you to know, O King, that we will not serve your gods or worship the image of gold you have set up.” Daniel 3:17-18. When the three were thrown in the furnace they did not burn up and when they came out they didn’t even smell like smoke, even though they should have been smoking!
- Trial by Fire. In 2 Corinthians 3:10-15 Paul teaches the quality of the works we do here on earth will be revealed by fire. The work we do that is made of gold and diamonds will pass the test. If his work passes he will receive his reward. If It does not he will suffer loss.
- Fire from Heaven. You find this story in 1 Kings 18:16-46. In this story Elijah calls on fire from heaven to completely burn up an altar dedicated to false gods. There is a good trash talking in this story too. It is a fun to read!
- Tongues of Fire. In Acts 2:2-4 we see the Holy Spirit coming down on the disciples in wind and tongues of fire that rested upon their heads. Afterwards they spoke in tongues and proclaimed the Gospel of Jesus Christ, start the church of Jesus Christ.
- The Burning Bush. Many of you might be by some burning wood in your fireplace the next cuple of nights. Wouldn’t it be nice if you didn’t need to add wood to that fire because it would not be consumed by the flames? This is what Moses encountered in the desert one day, a bush engulfed n flames but not burning up. Of course, it was God calling him to free the slaves from Egypt.
Hopefully, these stories will warn your soul over the next couple of days.