We love to talk about God’s love and how he has compassion for us and all people. But have you ever stepped back and asked these questions about God’s love?
- If God’s love is so great then why did he allow Adam to sin with such devestating consequences for all mankind?
- If God’s love is so compassionate then why does Jesus portray God letting the prodigal son leave home in the first place?
- If the kingdom of Israel was to be great then why did he allow the kings of Israel and Judah make such poor choices?
- Why did Jesus allow Judas to betray him?
- Why did he allow the church in Corinth to be so immorally impure?
My answer to these questions is that love is not love unless there is the allowance of making a choice. to love or not to love. This is in fact what makes the Gospel so horrible to understand. God always make the choice to love us. We all have made the choice not to love him back. And yet, God still chooses to demonstrate his love for us through the cross and resurrection. Absolutely amazing grace.